Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Pelican Point Lighthouse

Pelican Point Lighthouse State Park was under renovation when I stopped in on my trip from San Francisco to San Diego.  There were painters and carpenters scurrying around the impressive tower so, I waited until break time to snap this image.  There were still a couple of workers hoisting lumber up to the top of the tower and if you look closely you'll see what I'm talking about. 

The weather couldn't have been better and the marine layer stayed off the coast offering me a rare view of the point. 

Lighthouses always make good subjects for traveling photographers and this lighthouse was no exception.  I was hoping for a ship to pass by, but no luck.  Oh well, it means I'll have to stop by again.  Maybe, I'll try to be there at sunset next time.  It will be fun to see the lighthouse in its fully renovated condition.  This was my first lighthouse image and it certainly won't be my last.  I think I'll start a collection.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to see they are finally restoring this one. I stopped there several years ago, hoping to be able to go inside and climb the iron staircase, but some of brickwork near the top had collapsed just a few days earlier and it was closed for safety reasons.

    ReplyDelete