Friday, August 13, 2010

The Human Element- Part 2

I was doing a little shooting at La Jolla Shores near San Diego, California one afternoon hoping for a great sunset.  After shooting the beach, pier, waves, and surfers it was clear that the marine layer of clouds and fog would obscure any chance I had of a great sunset photo. 

I was walking back to my car when a young boy who had obviously been watching my exploits caught up with me and started asking questions.  I answered all his questions then asked if I could take his picture.  He said yes and after firing off a few rounds I turned the camera screen toward him to let him see the results.  His eyes lit up as he viewed his image on the 3" screen.  This seemed to energize him and he asked to pose for more.  I obliged and after a couple of minutes I handed him my camera, showed him what to do, and let him shoot a few shots.  It was obvious to me that while he may not be the next Ansel Adams, a spark was lit that afternoon. 

Sometimes, it's the story behind the image that makes it special, if only for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment