Sunday, July 17, 2011

Remember the Alamo!

Remember the Alamo?  I did, when visiting San Antonio this summer on my way back to California. It was hot, over 100 degrees both days I was there, but San Antonio is such a great place to visit, I really didn’t mind the heat. I woke early and drove downtown to the area known as The San Antonio Riverwalk. It was nice to walk along the river before most folks got out of bed. The “river” is really a loop off of the San Antonio River that is lined with concrete and landscaped with trees and flowering plants. Construction on the loop began in 1939 as a bypass channel for flood protection. Today, there are boats that navigate the river giving tourists the best views of downtown San Antonio and its shops and eating places. It has become the #1 tourist attraction in the state of Texas.


As I walked beside the river, I found my destination for my noontime meal but I had some time to kill, so I made my way a couple of blocks east to the Alamo. I decided not to take the guided tour, rather, I moved through the grounds of the old fort and mission looking for photo ops and reading history written on plaques along my route.

After lunch, I decided to visit a few of the other remaining missions in the area around San Antonio. Each was as different as the last but they were all carefully maintained and in some cases restored to most of their former glory. Texas loves its history and is proud to show it off wherever it can.

There are other attractions including Sea World and amusement parks, museums and art galleries. But my time here was limited. I will definitely return to San Antonio and the lone star state and will plan to spend more time here.

Travel Tip: Each year they drain the Riverwalk and clear trash and spare change from the bottom, so check before you go. It would be a shame to miss it.

More pictures HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment